Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Old Friends

Wanda and Layne have been friends of ours for a long time. They have had a place up on Lake Oconee for years and after both of them retired, they became full-time “Lakers.”

One morning not too long ago, Wanda made an early morning trip to Publix to beat the crowd. Right there in the produce department, she saw a woman that she recognized, but couldn’t for the life of her, remember the woman’s name. She ducked down the bread aisle while trying to remember…. Was she from Wilkinson or Laurens County from her youth? Was she from Warner Robins? She knew it was there, but the name just wouldn’t come…..

Since Wanda is not one easily defeated, she finally resolved to hit this memory problem head-on when she came face-to-face with this unnamed friend in front of the salad dressing on aisle five.

“My goodness, how long has it been,” Wanda began, as she hugged her friend and pecked her on the cheek.

The friend with no name just smiled, tentatively.

Wanda continued, “I haven’t seen you in ages. I know I haven’t seen you since my newest grandchild was born.”

She then began to show her friend the latest pictures. They spent quite some time looking at the whole album that Wanda just happened to have with her; beginning at birth, all the way up to the family cookout, just a few weeks ago.

As they closed the book, Wanda fished one last time for a hint of this friend’s connection. “Well, are you living here at the lake now?”

“Oh no, Ralph and I pulled into Lake Oconee Campground and RV Park last night. We will only be here for a few days.”

Ralph. Ralph! Ralph? Wanda thought. That is no help. She must have remarried or something. I can’t picture this woman with a Ralph.

She stalled more, “well you and Ralph must drop by to see Layne and me while you are here.”

The friend nodded.

Finally Wanda confessed, “Your face hasn’t changed a bit. I’d recognize you anywhere. I know that I should know it like my own, but for the life of me, I can’t remember your name or where our lives crossed.”

The friend thought for a bit, smiled and asked, “Don’t you drive a green Ford Expedition?”

Wanda confessed that she did.

The friend continued, “Well, my name is Kathryn and I am from a small town right outside Detroit. I have never spent any time in Georgia in my life. You probably recognize me because you almost ran over me in the parking lot as I was walking in here this morning.”

“Oh no, I’m so sorry! I can’t believe it. You probably don’t think much of the South now, especially Georgians. You’re probably ready to leave right now and never come back.”

“Quite the contrary,” Kathryn replied, “My husband spent some time in the South before we married. He always talked about how different life was here and I never believed him. Ralph left early this morning to try his hand at fishing so I came here to get a pound of coffee and some bagels. I have been hugged, kissed, shown baby pictures, and invited to your house, all before breakfast. How can I be mad about that?”

“Oh Kate, you haven’t had breakfast yet? I know this little place with the best breakfast. They’ve got a great breakfast casserole and baked French toast to die for. If you want a little less, they have fresh local berries, homemade muffins, cat head biscuits, cane syrup from south Georgia and blackberry jam.”

Off they went together, two newly acquainted old friends. They had a lot of catching up to do. Bless their hearts…..

2 comments:

  1. I was just hysterical reading this, 1, it's just amusing and 2, I have one of "those faces", everywhere and I mean everywhere I go I am approached by someone who thinks they know me. I'm still laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can call her Wanda, but her real name is Linda,and she and Wayne are our best friends! As I read this I could hear Linda's Southern drawl like I was there!! Linda never met a stranger!! Bless her heart!

    ReplyDelete