Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thankful for Small Things

In just a couple of days it will be Thanksgiving Day. They seem to get closer and closer each year. I remember when it was a long time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Now it seems that from Halloween through 1 January is just one holiday blur. I OBJECT. I have moved comfortably into "middle age" and I am old enough to insist on celebrating my holidays one at a time.

A few days ago I went to the kitchen at work and several people had put a Post-it on the refrigerator. Each of them had written what they were thankful for on their Post-it and left it there to share with their coworkers. I thought “what a great idea.” During this hectic time of year, when so many rush from one "celebration" to the next; when our friends, family, neighbors, coworkers all seem to expect something from us. Why not take a little time to think about the things for which you are thankful, not just the big things either, but the little things too.

I am thankful that I can go to Piggly Wiggly, Kroger, Wal-Mart or Publix to buy a turkey of MY choice. I will wait in line to pay for it and be irritated that the lady in front of me actually has TWELVE items in her basket (I’ll count them) and she has the AUDACITY to go through the EXPRESS line.

The folks in Moscow wait in line for hours to buy fruits or bread. The selection we have would astound shoppers in most countries.

I am thankful for Rocky Road ice cream with those little almond pieces.

I am thankful that I am seldom depressed.

I am thankful that my children are rarely sick, but when they are, I can take them to my choice of the finest medical practitioners in the world. Although I will invariably complain that my wait is too long and the prescription costs too much.

I am thankful for those selfless people like Mother Teresa who heard God's call on their life and answered that call. I am thankful that she didn’t have to comfort me or my family, but would have.

Although I am not particularly thankful for poor vision, I am thankful for my glasses that help me see. I AM thankful that I can see…… in color, if not clearly!

I am thankful for my wife, three daughters and son-in-law. I am thankful that they are forgiving and supportive.

I am grateful for the guy that invented dental floss. (I’ll say a special word for him late Thursday afternoon when I am fighting something I ate.)

I am thankful for a supportive pastor and church family that fight a whole lot less than some blood related families I know.

I am thankful for the white line and those little grooves on the right side and those little orange "bloop-bloopers" in the middle of the roads in Georgia. They come in real handy in the rain or fog.

I am thankful that I don't need a handicapped parking place. I am also thankful that I could get one if I needed one.

I am thankful that the eagle is on the quarter, and we eat turkey for thanksgiving, (instead of the other way around.)

When I get frustrated with my computer, my job, a coworker or boss, Lord help me think of those barefooted Chinese peasants bending over in a cold rice paddy half way 'round the world.

I am thankful for my job, my coworkers, and my work assignments over the last 40+ years.

We American can think of many things to complain about, but no people on earth have more to be thankful for. This Thursday, sometime between stuffing yourself, playing/fighting with your family, watching the parades, or football games, or the Christmas "sale" on the Home Shopping Network, take just a few minutes to think about the things you are thankful for. You'll be amazed.

Have a safe holiday with those that are important to you.

2 comments:

  1. Amen to stopping and thinking. I still say we Americans live in the best country in the world (even with all my complaints). Thanks for the little reminder to be thinkful/thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful for you and your family, Cuz.

    Merry Christmas!

    Jean

    ReplyDelete