Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Winter Funk

For those of you that I haven’t communicated with since last year, I wish a belated Happy New Year to you all! I hope that you had a fine time during the holidays and was able to spend some time with those you love. Now it is time to hang that new calendar and drag out that list of stuff that you were planning to get to “next year.” As I have said recently, I was not built for cold weather. It has been an ugly couple of weeks on Chicken Road. This past weekend was much better, but yesterday and today is more like a beautiful spring day in Moscow than Late January or early February in South Georgia.

The holiday season can be a hard time for some people. With all the emphasis on family togetherness, the holidays can remind many of the loved ones and friends who are no longer with them. Other people make it through the holidays just fine, but have a post holiday letdown. Short days, no big gatherings to look forward to, back to work, and lastly those holiday bills begin pouring in. YUCK! We all develop our personal ways of dealing with these winter blahs. I have found that post-holiday mail can actually HELP. I’m not talking about those nice letters from “Publisher’s Clearinghouse”. I’m talking catalogs! Although the internet has certainly reduced the demand for them, Catalogs, especially seed catalogs, can brighten up a pretty dreary existence. The most memorable one came about ten years ago. Although it was not about seeds, it just brightened my day. Actually, it brightened several days and nights. (I don’t know what happened to these people since this was the only one I ever received from them.) It was so good that I made notes:

It featured a nice lamp with a river birch bark shade. Not just ANY river birch bark, but “bark that has fallen naturally onto the forest floor.” I can’t remember the price, but the description made you think that it just might be a bargain! (and you were removing the birch bark litter from the forest floor too!)

I have a couple of other examples that are quotable:

“Smooth river stones, wrapped by Philippine artisan with tilot vine to create a marvelous contrast of color and texture. (stones are approximately 2-3”) set of 10 wrapped stones $55.” (I’ve looked it up. I still don’t know what “tilot vine” looks like. My computer just thinks it’s a misspelled word. Google couldn’t find it either, but suggested “toilet wine.” I was not brave enough to click on that!)

“ETERNAL BIRDS NEST: Chunks of concrete and rusted wire retrieved from demolition rubble are recreated into an endearing little nest to cradle small smooth egg shaped stones plucked from a river bed...........each will vary slightly. Approximately 6” high. $79.”

And my favorite:

“FLYING FISH PIN: Cleverly assembled from recycled parts of vintage watches, this winged fish dangles a plump heart charm, handmade of brass by a Florida jeweler with a sense of humor; $39” (If they just had it in a tie tack.)

How could anyone read that and not smile just a little, especially knowing the writer is serious and in most cases, show you a picture of the product.

Put another log on the fire and pass me another catalog. I think that I’ll whip this winter funk yet!

2 comments:

  1. You are toooo creative, Chicken Road.

    And so are those amazing artisans who are recycling garbage, huh? I'm thinking that catalogue must have been their first...and last. You need to find it quick. Probably a collector's item by now. Just think, in another ten years you can sell it on E-bay or something. Buy yourself a retirement home in the Bahamas or Cozumel with the proceeds.

    I'm wondering, however, if in another ten years the snow will find its way there, too.

    Blessings,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bride said, " I remember that catalog. Wasn't that the one that looked like someone picked up junk in their back yard and turned it into "Art"?"

    "Yes Sweetie, that was the one..."

    Thanks for reading and the comments.

    ReplyDelete