Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"Biscuit" eggs on my Muffin

After writing about long distance customer service I have had a couple of memorable face-to-face customer service experiences that made me shake my head. This morning, I drove through the “breakfast on the go” spot in my hometown. Since they were advertising a special on their sausage, egg and cheese muffins, I wheeled in to pick up a couple.

The voice in the box says, “Welcome! Would you to try our warm cereal in a cup?”

I spoke directly into the box, “No thank you. I’d like two sausage, egg and cheese muffins, please.”

The voice in the box says, “Um, I’m sorry. But those eggs that we put on the muffins, um, we’re out of those. All we have is the eggs like we put on the biscuits.”

I thanked him and drove away thinking, I had no idea that they were completely different eggs! At my house, we use eggs in the little yellow Styrofoam carton for everything. In fact, on a typical day, the eggs in the morning omelet probably sat RIGHT NEXT to the egg that ended up in the brownies cooked later in the day. Of course, I’d never admit this to Mr. “voice in the box” at the drive-thru. He might have a breakdown.

Just a half hours later, in a different town and a different drive-thru, I heard the lady in the car in front of me speak loudly and incredulously to the box, “Coffee! I just want coffee.”

The voice in the box says, “I can do Pepsi. We just have Pepsi products!”

Exasperated woman, with protruding veins in her neck, “You don’t have coffee? A breakfast place and you don’t have coffee?’

Voice in the box says, “Pepsi, diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Orange, you know, any Pepsi products. We just have Pepsi products.”

Miss “protruding veins” drove off in a huff. No coffee; no breakfast; nothing but high blood pressure and a bad attitude. I really hope she got to where she was going without a stroke.

It made me think of the great attitude my great uncle Sylvester had. I don’t really remember him. If I ever met him, it couldn’t have been more than once, and that would have been when I was really young. Uncle Sylvester and Aunt Eunice live in a pretty large town. Their daughter, Alma and her husband worked for years in her husband’s family’s bakery. My brother tells the story of visiting Uncle Sylvester and Aunt Eunice once. Just at mealtime, Alma brought in a pie from the bakery that was slightly overcooked. She was all apologetic.

“Daddy, I’m so sorry that the pie is burnt,” she said.

“Nonsense,” Uncle Sylvester said. “It is just right! If it was any blacker, we couldn’t eat it. But if it was any lighter, we wouldn’t have gotten it. Yes, it is just right.”

So I guess I should have just had the “biscuit eggs” on my muffin this morning and been happy about it….

2 comments:

  1. OH! Oh! Oh! Customer Care and satisfaction is a thing of the past in this world today, I am laughing thinking of all the times I have ordered, ending with "that's all" and they inevitably come back with "would you like to try....today?", no thank you "that's all" and sometimes they even come back again with "maybe you would like to try....today"
    Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. We're raising a generation of real thinkers. Self-starters. Initiative-takers.

    Brilliant minds in the making, wouldn't you say? Probably don't even know that eggs come from chickens--not preformed, pre-frozen circles you throw on the grill.

    Cuz Jean

    ReplyDelete