Tuesday, March 8, 2011

New Shoes

I have new shoes. In fact, I have two new pair of shoes. No, it is not what you think. Getting new shoes is not a religious experience for me. I just have an odd sized foot, so when I find my size at a fair price, I buy them, whether I need them or not.

Of course, having three daughters, I have been exposed to shoe zealots. At least two of them could go shopping for anything; jeans, a dress, office supplies, pizza, and they would come home with shoes. Sometimes multiple pair, often with a handbag too. I buy shoes out of necessity. They buy shoes that are “cute.” I buy shoes that fit and are not hideous. They would buy shoes that wouldn’t really fit, as long as they were cute. One of my daughters is a certified “flip-flop-aholic.”

I ordered my shoes online. They were marked down, had my size in multiple colors, so I ordered black ones and brown ones. I finally got around to trying them on this past weekend. As I was looking at them out of the box, I couldn’t help but think about a young woman I used to work with.

Daune was a very smart young woman, in the bookish way; but she lacked what my Uncle Freddie often referred to as “walking around” sense. She could do complex mathematical equations, but had problems with the more mundane tasks. She had been married enough times that we all knew not to buy her ANYTHING monogrammed. She had several children, one in daycare, others in different schools. Looking back, I am quite sure that getting that crew ready for school and herself ready to come to work was a lot like tending zoo.

One morning she came in late and seemed more frazzled than usual. I didn’t say one word. I waited until she had a couple of cups of coffee before I went to check on her. I finally asked, “Daune, have you had a hard morning?”
A little huffy, she replied, while sipping her second cup, “why no, why would you ask such a thing?”

“Well, I just happen to notice that you had on two different kinds of shoes this morning. That is just a little out of the ordinary for you.”

She pushed back from her desk, looked down at her feet and said, “Well Bill, that’s very observant of you. They’re essentially the same style. The only real difference is that one is black and the other a deep navy.”

“Well, it wasn’t the color that I noticed, it was the limp. That left shoe has at least an inch, maybe an inch and a half more heel that the right. I wouldn’t have made it in from the parking lot if I was tilted as much as you were this morning.”

All I heard was the coffee pot, and maybe a few crickets…….

Now that I think about it, I believe I will put my new shoes on the opposite ends of the closet, just in case. You just never know.

3 comments:

  1. You did tread in dangerous territory Bill to bring the fact that you noticed a flaw to a woman's attention! I'm surprised you made it out of that unscathed! Especially considering her state of mind.
    That's too cute, I've mismatched socks before but never shoes (LOL)
    Are we talking like, 12 1/2EEE?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, actually they are just 9EEE. They really aren't that wide, just thick...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I get that! I'm not wide either "just thick"!

    ReplyDelete